Saturday, January 18, 2014

Quick and Easy Recipe : Orange Chicken Salad With Sweet Lime Dressing


As someone who is constantly juggling multiple projects and trying to manage my time, I find myself always looking for something I can eat that is quick, easy and healthy. This salad is from a recipe my mom used to make when I was younger. Rather than a meal, she would make it as a side salad (sans chicken) to complement a salty meal, like Swedish Meatballs or steak. 

This salad is a hit with my husband who refers to it as the "dessert salad", for it's clean, tart and sweet flavors. I often like to make this salad for a lunch, especially when we have had chicken the night before so I can use leftovers. 

Orange Chicken Salad With Sweet Lime Dressing

Prep your salad

Ingredients: 
1.) green leafy lettuce, spinach, kale, or spring salad mix 
really you can use just about anything to make the base of your salad

2.) 1 small navel orange 
nevermind that my orange looks like a grapefruit, I accidentally grabbed a pink navel orange. I had never heard of this! haha!

3.) grilled chicken breast 
I used left over chicken from the night before, which makes it quick and easy

4.) 1/4c toasted almond slivers
put your almonds in a pan on med-high heat, shake your pan to keep them moving and you will start to smell the yummy toastedness of the almonds. They are ready when they turn brown, but be careful not to burn them.

Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl.


The dressing: 
1) 1/4 c of lime juice or the juice from 2 limes
2.) 2 tablespoons of brown sugar or to taste
3.) 1/4 tsp of ground cumin and 1/4 tsp of ground thyme

Combine all the ingredients together and whisk briskly, then pour over salad, toss and enjoy! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment